We asked Rotarian Malaria Partners Zambia (RMPZ) executive administrator, Martha Lungu to tell us a little more about herself and her role. Martha in her own words:
My name is Martha Lungu. I am a professional accountant possessing membership with the association of chartered certified accountants (ACCA), the Zambia institute if chartered accountants (ZICA), and international association of risk and compliance professionals (IARCP).I have worked in both the government and the private sector. I was branch manager for a financial institution, Meanwood Finance for seven years. In addition to my commitment with RMPZ, I am also a part-time accountant for an NGO called Living Compassion. I’ve been widowed since 1999. I have four children and two grandchildren. I was born in a family of thirteen (13) but five have since passed on, as have my parents.
In my spare time, I spend Sundays at church as I am member of the United Church of Zambia.. On Friday’s I attend the Rotary meeting. I enjoy bowling and am a member of the Kansenshi Park and Bowls Club.
I became involved with Malaria elimination in my capacity as a Rotarian when an opportunity was advertised to get someone on board I thought I could take up the task and applied for the position of executive administrator. I spend three days a week on this project (Monday to Wednesday) and I typically am working on responding to inquiries, scheduling and completing meetings.
I believe RMPZ will achieve its objective by:
- Collaborating with other stakeholders, especially the government, who are the custodians of the elimination campaign.
- Providing resources as and when required. It is important that the requirement resources are availed timely.
- Ensuring that real time data is collected and disseminated to relevant personnel.
- Ensuring that RMPZ is not so much dependent on clubs and individuals for logistics as it is important to get to location when required. This means that RMPZ should be mobile without difficulties.
- In the future a dedicated office space will be useful for coordination efforts.