Authors: Eric Liswaniso, Maudy Lwenje, and Dr. Nkhonde Phiri
As we approach the end of 2023, we are thrilled to reflect on the incredible milestones achieved in our collective pursuit of a Malaria-Free Zambia. Throughout the year, Malaria Partners Zambia (MPZ) has tirelessly worked towards this ambitious goal, engaging in a myriad of activities and cultivating new partnerships that have strengthened our impact across communities.
Key Highlights of 2023
- Training of Community Health Workers
- In 2023, MPZ conducted comprehensive refresher training sessions for over 1,500 Community Health Workers and more than 200 facility staff in Central, Copperbelt, and Muchinga provinces.
- MPZ further addressed attrition by training replacements, ensuring the continuity of essential healthcare services.
- Data-Driven Decision Making
Recognizing the importance of reliable data, MPZ conducted:
- Data Quality Audits in 13 districts across 3 provinces, partnering with the PAMO Plus project in Muchinga in Muchinga province.
- Mentorship and Technical Supportive Supervision (MTSS) in 13 districts across 3 provinces
- Data Review Meetings in 10 districts of Muchinga and Central provinces. The Partners for a Malaria-Free Zambia project also supported quarterly review meetings at 244 health facilities in Muchinga and Central provinces
- Community Engagement and Advocacy
- MPZ actively engaged communities through over 50 radio programs, promoting awareness and fostering a deeper understanding of malaria prevention.
- Additionally, our collaboration with Faith Leader Advocacy for Malaria Elimination (FLAME) strengthened advocacy efforts at various levels.
- 87 billboards were erected in facility catchment areas on the Copperbelt province
- Supported 4 provincial End Malaria Council meetings in 2 provinces
- Global Outreach and Recognition
- MPZ showcased our impact on the international stage, participating in key events such as the Rotary International Zone 22 Institute in Lusaka, the Rotary International Conference in Melbourne, and the District 9210 Conference in Beira, Mozambique.
- Rotary Foundation Trustee Geeta Manek and U.S. Rotarian Jim Moore, witnessed the impact of our work firsthand during visits to project sites.
- A delegation of Rotarians from the U.S. led by MPI visited project sites in Chibombo district and had high level engagement with key stakeholders in the national malaria elimination program in Lusaka.
- Supporting the Supply Chain
- MPZ and World Vision Zambia supported the delivery of anti-malarials to health facilities and community health workers in Central and Muchinga.
As we close the chapter on 2023, Malaria Partners Zambia expresses deep gratitude to all Rotarians, Rotaractors, partners, and supporters who contributed to our successes and we eagerly anticipate achieving even greater milestones in our ongoing fight against malaria in 2024.